Tuesday, December 8, 2009

LCD TV Repair

I went out on a service call today for a Hyundai LC-23Y18, TV had standby light and when you tried to power the unit on the standby light would start flashing. As usual I checked all the Electrolytic capacitors in the SMPS first thing and sure enough like usual I found a capacitor with a high ESR. It was a 470uF capacitor on the secondary side of the standby switching transformer. The capacitor had an ESR of 7. After replacing the capacitor the TV worked like new. You can see I am very often replacing electrolytic capacitors in these LCD TVs and that is why I always check the Electrolytic capacitors in the SMPS first thing because so many problems can occur when these fail. That is why it is so important to have a good ESR meter if you want to do electronic repair, electrolytic capacitors are everywhere not just in the SMPS circuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment